Saturday, December 15, 2012

Getting into the holiday spirit

I've had the Christmas carols going for awhile, but now with little over a week to go it is starting to feel like Christmas. For my birthday Joe bought us a Christmas tree. We decided to go with a potted one that can hopefully be our Christmas tree again next year.

It's not much to look at, but we went to the Christmas market in Tübingen today and got a few ornaments, and I wrapped the presents. We bought a tiny pinecone ornament (hardly visible) from the glass blower at the University; his wife makes them. I've gotten to know him this fall as he has made a few custom pieces for my lab work. Maybe the best part of this tree is the angel Joe made out of the foil wrapping of my favorite German beer, Tannen Zäpfle ("pine cone" in dialect). We had to practice with a few bottles, but it was fun to get rid of the beer!

We had a Christmas party with my lab group last night at the boss' house. A good time was had by all, lubricated by our favorite drinks like "Feuerzangenbowle" (rum-soaked cones of sugar lit on fire that drip carmelized yummy stuff into hot wine). We also had an adventurous train ride back home. I realized we have been in Germany too long, because I start to say things like "He is so late again" when referring to the train. The train is gendered male in German, by the way.

One more week of work/school and we're off to eastern Germany and Czech Republic. Parents Smith arrive on Tuesday from Alaska, and we are looking forward to some family time, exploring new areas and a break from our routines.


No comments:

Post a Comment