Sunday, November 3, 2013

What do we eat? Part IV: Flammkuchen

We live fairly close to the Alsace region on the border between France and Germany. The culinary influences pervade into our region, most famously with "Flammkuchen", a sort of thin-crust, white sauce pizza. It is widely available in restaurants here, but lately I've enjoyed making it at home. This makes for a quick and easy meal because I can buy the dough and skip the most time-consuming step. Flammkuchen is cooked in a very hot oven, and the sauce is made from creme fraiche, although sour cream could substitute. Traditionally, the toppings are bacon and onions. I've also enjoyed experimenting with adding feta cheese and sauteed pumpkin. I found a recipe online in case I've piqued your appetite!





No comments:

Post a Comment