Thursday, February 16, 2012

International Ski


(update from Joe)
The last 2.5weeks have been a bit cold –lows around 5F and highs around 20F.  This has been a dramatic change from the rest of winter, which has been above freezing and flowers were still blooming.  While our apartment may have been a bit chilly, we have made the most of it by going skiing the last two weekends.  Last weekend we went to Oberjoch; the same place we went for our birthdays, and we saw the first snow of the season.
The ski trails were very nice and free.  Betsy says I made her ski over 60km in two days, but she wanted to fulfill her alter-ego’s mission:  “Bettina Bergsteiger –International Ski Spy”.  So we skied from Germany into Austria.  On Saturday’s ski back from Austria, the wind was against us, so I estimated the wind chill as -20F, which could mean that exposed skin could freeze in around half an hour.  After completing our mission, I surprised Betsy with chocolate and Sekt (German version of champagne), because it was close to Valentine’ Day. On Sunday we skied to another town in Austria to have lunch, and afterwards "smuggled" some prized herb bread back to Germany.
Betsy has been occupied with supporting the University's bid for Excellence (which means something like Ivy League status in German, plus lots of federal funding). She is also interviewing candidates for a PhD candidate on the project she is doing.
I am finally done with German classes, for now.  So after 13weeks, I am now an “intermediate” German speaker.  The language isn’t as intimidating, and I can actually hold a simple conversation in German –like yesterday when I called about a new apartment.  We need an apartment with an additional room, so that I can work without taking over the living room.  I am also contemplating getting a job in Germany, but I don’t think my German is that good yet.  A job would get me out of the house; working at home is rather corrosive after too many weeks alone all day.
Today I helped Chris brew some beer.  This batch is for our wives, who love IPA, but can’t find a hoppy beer in Germany.  We will bottle the batch next week, and it should be ready by St.Patrick’s Day.

1 comment:

  1. Your cross-country skiing makes us envious--not the distance just the conditions. We had 4 inches of snow in Pittsburgh last weekend which was enough to ski, but that only lasted a couple days. Today I went out to renew my quest for an new and better mountain bike. We'll be hitting the trails in a few weeks.

    We continue to enjoy your posts. Best wishes,

    Bob and Linda

    ReplyDelete