Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Riding: Thursday 11 April

149km, Vienna to Bratislava to Vienna
While Betsy was in the conference, I rode to Bratislava and back.  Slovakia was part of the Warsaw pact, but is now part of European Union, Eurozone, & NATO.
The day had great weather; the high was about 20C (nearly 70F).  The ride was a little boring, probably because the Danube isn’t as engineered as in Germany, so there are lots of natural wetlands to avoid, and that means riding on straight roads through farmland instead of riverfront.
Castle Bratislava
I arrived in Bratislava before noon, so I heard all the noon bells from the Burg Bratislava (castle Bratislava).
St.Martin Church in Bratislava, as seen from Castle Bratislava
On the ride back, I rode to the top of the hill between Vienna and Bratislava.  I gave a great view of Bratislava, and I could just make out the high-rises of Vienna
Braunsberg near Hainburg, about 20km from Bratislava
View of Danube river upstream from Braunsberg, which is 200m above the river

No comments:

Post a Comment