Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Bureaucracy of University

It seems that my classmates have not suffered as much as me when dealing with the registration process, which is somewhat surprising, since I have been in Germany for one full year, and they have been her for less than a month, with many not speaking any German.
Stamped = official; permission to attend university
 So my latest saga involving the international student administration staff started 3 weeks ago today.  After a full day of delivering, procuring more, correcting, and finally delivering  again my paperwork, I was told that my student ID would arrive the the next week.  It turned out not to be.  Because I am here on a spouse visa and not a student visa, the University of Stuttgart couldn't process my registration.  Nor could they answer a phone call or email.  After a visit to their office that lasted ~5min including the "wait" in line, I was told what the problem was and sort of told how to fix it.  The solution:  convince the Tübingen county foreigners department to write a note saying that there wasn't any issue with me taking classes; see picture.
 I suppose my cultural lessons are several:
1) don't be too judgmental; it is a different culture,
2) stamps are official and they seem to solve lots of bureaucratic blocks,
3) everybody is dismissive of the administration staff --professors think they are dumb, the rest think they have a job-for-life and have lost the motivation to work, let alone do a good job.
As for me, I think the incompetence of the administration staff exposes myth of "German efficiency," and reminds me how good some American secretaries can be.
 At present the issues seem to be solved, AGAIN.   And regardless I can attend class.


No comments:

Post a Comment